The Truth about Phthalates and Why They're Dangerous to Your Body
When looking to achieve and maintain the best health possible, one key step that most of us aren’t taking is being careful with the things that we put in and on our bodies. Research has shown that every modern-day product almost always contains one or more ingredients that are a threat to our health.
One of the most prominent of these threats is phthalates—a group of chemicals used to soften and increase the flexibility of plastics. Unfortunately, these chemicals are more common in our daily lives than most of us realize, and their impact on our health is a massive cause of concern. Here’s why.
What are Phthalates?
Phthalates are a group of chemicals that are added to plastics to increase their flexibility, transparency, and durability. These chemicals are used to make plastics more flexible and harder to break—an essential quality in many of our consumer goods.
The Pervasiveness of Phthalates.
Since its invention, plastic has offered huge benefits to society. However, it has also created several negative impacts on the environment and human health. Because we’ve all been using plastics for so long, we’ve been inevitably exposed to the harmful substances in them. These include phthalates, bisphenol A (BPA), and polychlorinated biphenyls (PCB).
These substances have been discovered to be endocrine-disrupting chemicals (EDCs) that interfere with normal hormone activity in our bodies.
The alarming truth, unfortunately, is that phthalates are everywhere. They are in the packaging of the food we eat, the cosmetics we apply, and the toys our children play with. Even medical devices, which we trust implicitly for health care, often contain phthalates.
The widespread use of these chemicals makes avoiding them a big challenge. Worst still as phthalates are not always listed on product labels.
The Health Risks Associated with Phthalates.
We all need to know exactly why phthalates are dangerous to our bodies. Several studies have linked these chemicals to a range of widespread health issues. The foremost concern here is the fact that phthalates can mimic or block hormones in the body, leading to potential long-term problems with conception and pregnancy, child growth and development, and reproductive systems in both males and females.
- Hormonal disruptions: Research has discovered that phthalates are endocrine disruptors. This means they interfere with the body’s endocrine system which is responsible for regulating hormone production. Disruptions such as this can lead to problems with fertility, reproductive health of both men and women, and even weight management and blood pressure regulation.
- Negative impact on child development: One of the most vulnerable groups when it comes to the effects of phthalates is children. When children are exposed to these chemicals, especially during critical stages of their development, this can lead to developmental and behavioral problems. This is such a significant concern globally that several countries have banned the use of certain phthalates in the production of children’s toys.
- Linked to chronic diseases: Long-term exposure to phthalates has been linked to chronic diseases like asthma, breast cancer, and type 2 diabetes. While research is ongoing, the potential link between phthalates and these serious health conditions is certainly still a red flag.
Consumer Awareness and Government Actions
Today, more and more awareness is being created of the dangers of phthalates. This has led to government actions being taken in some countries. The European Union, for instance, has banned several types of phthalates in toys and childcare items. Similarly, the United States government as well as other countries have placed restrictions on certain phthalates in children’s toys and childcare articles.
As consumers, awareness is the first step toward protecting ourselves and our loved ones. Spare the time to get to know the products you use and their ingredients. Consciously look out for phthalate-free labels and choose products made from natural ingredients to help reduce exposure.
How to Minimize Your Exposure to Phthalates
Here are some practical steps to reduce your phthalate exposure in your daily life
- Always choose phthalate-free products: Make it a priority to look out for phthalate-free labels on any personal care products, cleaning products, toys, and household items.
- Avoid plastic containers: One of the easiest ways to get phthalate poisoning is by having the chemicals leach into your food and drinks from storage containers. Hence, always opt for glass, stainless steel, or BPA and phthalate-free plastics, especially for food and drink storage. Also, avoid reheating food or beverages in plastic containers as this increases the release of phthalates into them.
- Ventilate your home: It’s crazy to think about but phthalates can accumulate in household dust. So regular cleaning and good ventilation are great ways you can actively combat this.
- Be careful with fragrances: Many fragranced products such as air fresheners and scented candles can contain phthalates. Hence, choose fragrance-free or naturally scented products like our collection of organically made, toxin-free beeswax candles.
Remember that while governments and regulatory bodies have begun monitoring and limiting the use of these chemicals, we as consumers also have the power to influence the market by choosing safer, phthalate-free products.
In conclusion, while phthalates have pretty much become an ever-present part of modern life, we cannot ignore their potential health risks. The way forward is to first recognize and understand these dangers, then take steps to minimize our exposure. This way, we can protect ourselves and our families from the hazards of phthalates and contribute to a broader movement for safer products and a healthier environment.
Explore our line of Toxin-Free Self-care Products today by visiting www.freedomcreatorsco.com
Shop Best Sellers
It's my first time trying a beeswax candle and so far I love it! The scent is not overwhelming like a normal store candle. It gives off nice hints of spice throughout the air and not feeling like you're getting punched in the face. I can't wait to try the other scents!
This has been a game changer in my skin care routine. I feel like it is helping even out my skin tone while giving me this fresh feeling after applying it to my face.
Love the fresh smell!! Leaves your body actually clean! Absolutely love it!
It's my second purchase of the Rose Scrub and I love the smell! The rose petals are always a nice bonus. The consistency of oil to sugar is good.
All of the products I've received are amazing! Customer for life!! My skin feels clean and soo soft!! Thank you!!
Wow!! How refreshing
I use a lot of epsom salt and this one was amazing!!
Felt so fresh and healthy
I so enjoyed my bath!
I appreciate the product and the price!
This customer will come back ❤️
Wow!!! Amazing price and epic produce!
Makes my skin feel so good and younger :)
So appreciate you and your produce!
I love the skin balm and hair oil especially
Have tried it all and love it all
The bath salt rocks!
Smells good light scent
Smells good light scent
I had bought some stuff while we were visiting with family in CS. The balm is some of the best I have ever come across. My lip balm is still going strong as well. Very good products. I am happy to have found your website 😊
Love your product! It has been a huge help to someone in our family with really delicate, sensitive skin!